DID YOU LEARN ABOUT TORNADOES ?
What is Tornado?
Tornadoes are one of the most powerful and violent natural calamities on earth. They are usually in funnel shape which is due to very fast rotating column of air. They are very dangerous as their high-speed winds can break apart buildings, knock down trees into the air.
Types of Tornado:
- Supercell – is a large long-lived thunderstorm. It can produce largest and most violent tornadoes.
- Waterspout – These tornadoes forms over water. They dissipate when they hit land.
- Landspout – is like a waterspout but it occurs on land. It is weak and is not associated with a vortex of air from a thunderstorm.
- Gustnado – a small tornado formed at a weather front by gusts of wind.
- Multiple vortex – a tornado with more than one spinning tube of air.
How are Tornadoes formed?
When warm, moist air and cool, dry air masses meet they create instability in the atmosphere. A change in wind direction and an increase in wind speed with increasing height creates an invisible, horizontal rotating effect in the lower atmosphere. Rising air within the updraft tilts the rotating air from horizontal to vertical. An area of rotation extends through much of the storm.
From above you have get an idea about what are tornadoes and how they form. In science experiment category SOK provides you kidzlabs Tornado maker. With the help of this kids can understand how tornadoes form on their table top and can experience the power of this natural phenomenon.