What is a Globe?
Globe is a model of the Earth. Since the Earth is round, this helps us see the shape, size and position of countries and oceans better than on a flat map. At any given time, we can see only one side of the globe. The big areas made in blue represents water and are called Oceans. The Pacific Ocean is the biggest ocean. There are 4 oceans in all, the other are the Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean and Antarctic Ocean. The seas are smaller water bodies than the oceans.
The big areas in shades of green and brown represent land and are called continents. Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Europe, Australia and Antarctica are the 7 continents of the world. These continents are further divided into countries and countries into cities and towns.
Some facts regarding Globe:
- A globe is a picture of a planet drawn on a shape. It is like a scale model of the planet.
- The word globe comes from the Latin word Globus meaning Round mass or Sphere.
- Most globes are maps of Earth. The most common types are political and physical.
- Political globes show countries. Physical globe shows landscape like mountains and rivers.
- Global as an adjective is used to mean the entire world rather than any special place.
Make your child learn more about the Globe by providing them with Globe toy. It will boost their STEAM learning skills and will enhance their interest in science. SOK provides you the toy with the link mention below: